Wednesday, November 14, 2012

30 Weeks and a Baby Shower

This past Saturday, we had two really exciting things happen . . . we reached 30 weeks and had a beautiful baby shower for little miss Ellie!

All our appointments have been going well recently, so there's not much to report on that front.  Miss Wigglepants was being stubborn for the ultrasound tech this week, but once she found the artery she needed, the readings looked great.  She even said it looks like she's starting to grow some hair, which is pretty exciting!  Developmentally, we're just getting bigger and stronger and chubbier to help survive in the real world.  I've been feeling fatter and fatter every day, but I'm told that's a good thing so I will try not to complain about it.  My dreams are strange and my hips hurt by morning, so sleeping is getting more difficult, but I'm also told that it just prepares me for the challenges of having an infant, so I will try not to complain about that either.  All in all, I'm feeling pretty good and and optimistic about keeping Ellie cooking for 10 more weeks!

We actually started our childbirth class at the hospital on Monday night, too.  Two hours, every Monday night, for five weeks.  That's a lot of information.  I think I'm too laid back to care a whole lot about it (I don't need a birth plan - I go to the hospital, they take care of me, I have a baby - how hard is that??), but it's already been really good for Andy, so I guess it's worth going to.  There are only 5 other couples there, so at least it's a nice small group and the nurses that teach it are super nice.

The house is coming along quite nicely!  My dad came down on Monday morning and mom got here Tuesday.  Andy's dad has been coming over every day too, so we've got a full house of workers!  We've got the dining room completely done (except for hanging up the curtains) and the kitchen will probably be done by the time I get there this morning.  Mom and I (but mostly mom) spent yesterday cleaning one of the bathrooms (yes, it took that long) and today we will tackle the other one before taking a break to run some shopping errands in town.  Someone has to go out and buy the new toilet paper holder - might as well be us!  Anyway, they are hoping to finish the living room and hallway by the end of the day and get at least one coat of paint up in either the master bedroom or the music room.  The guys are just working like crazy trying to get as much done as possible before we get furniture moved in.  I seriously have the best family ever.  I've been taking pictures of the progress, but will probably wait until after we've moved in and then just do a giant before and after post.

Ok, now on to the really exciting stuff - the baby shower!!  With all of the moving and stuff going on around this time, mom decided not to even try to surprise me (which was fine by me!) so I knew it was coming.  But I had no idea how CUTE everything would turn out!  She decided to go with a zoo animal theme (along the same lines as our jungle/safari nursery theme) and use bright primary colors with a box of animal crackers as the inspiration.


These cupcakes were the centerpieces (along with other cupcakes for eating).  The animals are actually made of fondant!  I thought they were plastic bathtub toys when I first saw them!  Mom found a woman in her local area who is a nurse, but also decorates cakes on the side.  She did an awesome job!


Here are the elements of the cake table.  Again, that elephant is fondant!  It's so cute!!  Mom made the zebra stripe pretzel candies and got the wooden puzzle train at her local thrift store.


 The gift table was decorated with Ellie's quilt (which you've seen in a previous post) and the stuffed elephant that was my nursery inspiration!  I found it at a store about a year ago and went ahead and bought it because I loved it so much!


 As they arrived, all of the guests were instructed to color a picture and write a message to Ellie at the bottom.  They will go in a picture book for her.  Here is Sarah, my cousin's daughter, coloring some lions!  (I forgot to take a picture of the book itself, but I'll get it up here someday!)


We played a few games, but my favorite was 'Sort My Socks!'  Each team had a basket full of socks that they had to match and pin together.  The team who completed their basket first won!  These ladies are FAST at sock sorting, let me tell you!  I think I need them to come over to my house on a weekly basis!!


Last, we ate snacks and then opened some very nice gifts, which I insisted Andy be around for.  He's going to use those diapers and wipes too!


All the wonderful women in my life who were able to attend (minus my cousin April who had to leave early).  A lot of people had work and other conflicts but were still kind enough to send gifts - all of which were very much appreciated!  We feel so incredibly loved and blessed.  Thank you cards will be coming out AFTER Ellie is born, so hang in there - we didn't forget!


Mommy and Auntie, who also helped a lot with the party planning and prep :-)

And this is how Ellie felt about the whole party . . .


Can you see her smiling?!?  And those chubby cheeks?!?  Such a cutie pie, if I do say so myself!  We can't decide who she looks like though, so we might have to do that the old fashioned way and just wait until she's born :-)

1 comment:

  1. I saw some of the shower pics on your mom's FB wall - everything looks SO nice! That picture of Ellie is so stinkin' cute - they've come such a long way with ultrasound pictures!

    ReplyDelete