Thursday, February 21, 2013

5 & 6 Weeks and SLEEP!

The past two weeks have been pretty exciting around here!  Little Miss Ellie is now 6 weeks old, and still growing every day!  My father-in-law always says (in reference to Andy) that bad weeds grow fast, haha!  So anyway, major accomplishments from these past two weeks include, primarily, some major advances in sleeping!  I'm so excited!

Once upon a time, I read on the internet (via pinterest, of course) about a way to get your baby to sleep through the night by 8 weeks.  Now, this was intended for moms who were going back to work and needed to be able to sleep at night for that purpose.  I don't fit that criteria and so some might say that it's not a big deal for her to be up at night because I can catch up on it during the day, but I have plenty of things to get done and who DOESN'T want to sleep through the night as soon as possible?!  So we (read: I) decided to give it a try.  Couldn't hurt, right?

So once she turned 4 weeks old, we began putting her on a schedule.  The website I was reading recommended feeding every three hours during the day, starting at 7 am.  We decided to start at 6 am instead, so that the intervals would fit more nicely around my evening teaching schedule.  So the trick is (apparently) to wake them up and feed them every three hours and then keep them awake (or try to, at least) for an hour and a half.  For example, I set my alarm for 5:55 am and get her up at 6.  I change her diaper to make sure she's REALLY awake and alert so that she will eat more efficiently.  Then I let her eat for as long as she wants and then we do some playing or read a story or just sit her in her not-a-boppy pillow or do some tummy time for exercise until 7:30.  Now this doesn't always work out according to schedule.  If she's falling asleep on me, I obviously let her go to sleep.  But if she's being any kind of awake or alert, then I don't try to PUT her to sleep.  Make sense?  Anyway, she almost always goes to sleep at some point.  Sometimes I just let her sleep on me or in her bouncy chair or even in our pouch-style carrier if that's where she dozes off, but other times I will go lay her in her crib - gotta change it up so she doesn't get too attached to one thing!  Then I will wake her up at 9:00 and start the process all over again.

Once we get to 9:00 pm, the atmosphere changes.  The website recommended feeding the baby in complete silence and with low lights, but I can't personally stay awake through that.  So we park on the couch and watch Netflix (currently enjoying Dr. Who!) with the volume turned way down and the lights down low.  I don't talk to her or do any extra cuddles or stimulation.  Close to the end, I will wrap her up in her swaddle blanket (which we ONLY use at night) so she gets all cozy and then I let her finish eating.  She usually eats herself to sleep.  As soon as she's done, she goes straight to bed in her crib.  Sometimes she's still a little awake, so I just lay her down and rub her head for a few seconds to relax her and then leave her to put herself to sleep.  I don't want her to get used to having to be rocked to sleep.  She's almost never WIDE awake, so it's only a few minutes of scrootching around before she gives up and goes to sleep on her own.  Then I promptly go to bed, with the monitor by my side, and sleep as long as she will let me.  I don't get up and get her until she's REALLY crying so that I know she's actually hungry and awake.  Then it's the same routine of diaper change, feed in the dim and quiet, and straight back to bed.  No matter what time she last ate, I still set my alarm and get her up to start the day at 6.

This is supposed to help them sleep through the night in a few different ways.  First, they're not sleeping as much or as deeply during the day, so they are actually tired at night.  That's also the reason for making the nighttime routine the same, but also different, than the day.  Based on the atmosphere, my attitude, and how she gets put to bed, she knows without a doubt that this is nighttime so there's just sleep, no fooling around.  If she gets hungry, she knows that I will be there and take care of that need, but that's it.  The other aspect is that she knows exactly when she's going to get to eat again.  6 am, every day, without fail.  If she wakes up at 5 and is a little hungry, she can feel safe to fall back asleep because food is coming soon.  Sounds a little weird because she can't read a clock (there isn't even one in her room!), but babies actually have a very good internal body clock, which is why it is SO HARD to get them straightened out if they get their days and nights confused!  And think about it - how many times have you gotten a little hungry and thought about getting a snack, but then decided not to because it was almost lunch time anyway?  Some of us should make that decision a little more often (ME!), but I'm pretty sure we can all relate to that concept.

The schedule made a lot of sense for us because she was already putting herself on a schedule of eating every three hours anyway.  We just took a few days to adjust the times to this particular time table and she has stuck to it pretty well.  And I have to say, as far as sleeping at night, it is helping!  She's not slept through the night yet, but she is getting a lot closer!  The first night we noticed a difference, she slept from 10 to 1:00.  After that she made it to 2:00.  Then one day she got past 3:00.  Finally, on Tuesday night (into Wednesday morning) this past week, she slept until 5:00!  Now, some people would consider that sleeping through the night, but I don't think it's quite long enough for that.  Once she gets to 6:00, which is her breakfast feeding time, then I will consider that through the night.  The beautiful thing about that night is that she actually woke up at 3:50 and started fussing, but then fell back to sleep until 5!  The schedule worked!  I was so excited.  Unfortunately, the night after that, she was back to getting up at 3.  But she's only 6 weeks.  We've still got two more weeks to perfect the process :-) 

Here is a picture of her 'snuggly' wrap that we use when we put her down for daytime naps.  It isn't as tight as her night time swaddle wrap, so she doesn't sleep as deeply - just like a nap should be!  This is what it looks like when we lay her down . . .



. . . and this is what it looks like when she wakes up!


Haha, she's totally my kid!

A few other accomplishments this week include our first trip to Grandma and Pappy's house, which included our first time at church!  She did really well on the 1.5 hour car ride each way and slept peacefully the whole way through church and Sunday school.  We missed half the service because it just so happened to start at the same time that she needed to eat, but it turned out ok.  


Snuggling with Daddy after church on Sunday.


I also had my follow-up appointment with the OB on Wednesday this week.  That was fun, ha!  It went fine, and the doctor was satisfied with everything.  Speaking of the doctor, remember how great I said she was?  Yeah, she's still great!  She had stopped by the day after Ellie was born and took pictures with her phone because she was that enamored with how tiny she was.  She really enjoyed seeing Ellie at my appointment this week and couldn't believe how big she had gotten!  Turns out, she still had the pictures on her phone and was able to send them to me!  I was so excited!  When she was there taking them, I never thought to take some myself or have her send them to me then, so it really made my day to finally get them!

Unfortunately, I can't figure out how to get them off my phone, so you're just going to have to wait for them.

Grandma came along with us to my appointment, which was great because Little Miss just wanted to be held the entire time.  She wasn't going to be satisfied sitting in the car seat, but I certainly wasn't going to be able to hold her, so it was really nice to have the extra set of hands there!  Afterwards, we took Ellie for her first shopping trip with Mommy and Grandma!  She did really great.  It wasn't like we shopped all day or anything, but it was a few hours and she stayed pleasant the entire time.  Except when I had to take her into the restroom at JC Penney's to change her diaper.  Then she screamed, as usual.  But being in a restroom like that it really echoed.  Apparently it was quite loud out in the store, too.  Oops!  Oh well, what are ya gonna do.  Nobody approached me about it, so it mustn't have been too big of a deal!  She got a little fussy in Kohl's, but then we realized that we forgot to take the thick blanket off of her and she settled down once we did.  Must have been too warm.  Another oops!  Again, problem easily solved.  And I finally figured out the trick to getting the stroller in and out of the trunk without pinching my fingers!  Now if I can just figure out how to drive it through the stores without running into shelves or over my toes I will be in good shape.  I guess I'll just have to do some more shopping to practice :-)


Not sure about how I feel about this shopping trip, Grandma!


And most importantly, Ellie celebrated her first Valentine's day this past week!  



She was super snuggly and clingy all day long.  I could barely put her down without her screaming.  I'm still not sure what the problem was.  Aside from getting nothing done, I didn't really mind because the night before I had a TERRIBLE dream about her, so the snuggles were nice for me too.  

She's been enjoying sitting up in her not-a-boppy pillow more and more . . .



. . . and she loves tummy time, especially when it's on Daddy's tummy!


Look at those neck muscles!!

And that's all I have for you right now.  Stay tuned for more!  The nursery is going to be done any minute now, I can feel it :-) 

1 comment:

  1. You are a wonderful writer & I am thoroughly enjoying the updates. Ellie has really grown in 6 short weeks. I use bluetooth to transfer pics to my laptop from my phone. We had to buy a bluetooth dongle for the laptop but they are not expensive. An easier alternative would be to send the pics by picture message to facebook. You have a unique email address in your facebook settings. Once on facebook you can save them to your computer etc. Looking forward to the next update. Hugz.

    ReplyDelete