Wednesday, October 1, 2014

FYI: BOYS HATE TO SING!

So, in case you didn't know this, in addition to being a mommy-wife-secretary-blogger-taste tester (a what?), I also teach private music lessons (all piano students right now) two nights a week.


 I currently have 10 students and they are some of the best and most hilarious kids you'll ever meet.  And just last week, I FINALLY upgraded to having 2 boys!  One is in second grade and one is in third.  Last night, I had this conversation with one of them....

Me: Ok, so I want you to sing the note names along with me...
Boy: NO!
M: Let me guess, you don't like to sing?
B: NO I HATE SINGING!
M: Yeah, I hear that from a lot of boys and I've never been able to figure out why.  Why do you hate singing so much?
B: I DON'T KNOW I JUST DO!
M: Well that's not a good enough reason, so you're going to have to sing this with me...
B: NO!  I HATE SINGING!  I JUST DON'T WANT TO TELL YOU WHY!
M: Ok... I've always just been really curious why boys don't like to sing, are you sure you won't tell me?
B: NO!  IT'S A SECRET!
M: Ok, then you don't have to tell me.  And you don't have to sing.  Just SAY the note names in the correct rhythm.
B: I'M NOT TELLING YOU!  
M: That's ok, you don't have to.
B: IT'S JUST THAT IT'S A WORD THAT EVERYONE KNOWS EXCEPT FOR MAYBE BABIES.  SO LIKE PEOPLE WHO CAN'T TALK.  BUT EVERYONE ELSE KNOWS IT.
M: Ok, I officially have no idea what you're talking about.
B: I HATE SINGING!  BUT I CAN'T SAY THE WORD WHY!
M: Ok, that's fine, you don't HAVE to sing this, just say the right notes in the right rhythm with me.
B: Oh, ok then.  G-A-B-B-...

To protect his identity (since he was obviously crazy sensitive about this issue), I'm not going to tell you if it was the second or the third grader.  But does anyone have ANY idea what the heck he was talking about?  I told Andy about it and he was just as confused as I was.  But then again he was in special choir as a kid, so maybe he was left out of the secret word that everyone knows but no one can say that makes boys hate singing.

Never a dull moment around here!

Also, you might want to check on how many times you say 'ok' in the same conversation.  Wow.

No comments:

Post a Comment