Tuesday, July 15, 2014

All of June

So I know it's literally the middle of July, but summer has been really busy for us this year.  So here's what we did for the entire month of June...

First we celebrated our 5th Anniversary!  Here's a picture taken on the day of our first date...

We were so cute, even before our first 'official' date!

A little back story... We were both working at a summer camp up in the mountains and the week beforehand, it rained like crazy.  Really crazy.  And the creek was really really high.  So a few of us got this crazy idea to take an old mattress and raft down the creek.  We did get permission to do it, but had to wait until the weekend, when there were no campers around.  Well by then the creek had gone down significantly and the rafting didn't really work.  On our way past the maintenance building, we saw this old kayak just sitting around, so we grabbed it for some more creek fun.  Andy and his college buddy turned camp counselor Micah were the ones rafting and good friend Jackie and I were walking along laughing at them the whole time.  This was Saturday afternoon and our date was schedule for supper time, so I was avoiding getting wet/creek-y so that I could just change clothes and be ready to go.  Well somehow Mr. Andy convinced me to climb in the kayak to float around the water hole.  That's when Jackie snapped that adorable picture (THANKS, JACKIE!!).  And then, he flipped it.  See the arm back behind me?  Yep, he just pulled and flipped it right over.  I barely had time to hold my breath.  And I was soaked head to toe.  So I had to go straight back to my room and completely shower, re-dress, re-do my hair and everything.  Which made me about an hour late for our date.  But it was HIS fault.  I just wanted to clear all that up.  So that was 8 years ago.  

And then 5 years ago we did this...

This was right after Pastor John introduced us as 'Mr. & Mrs. McDonald'

Awww, how sweet, right?  And to celebrate 5 years of marriage bliss and 8 years of dating, I finally climbed back in a kayak with Mr. Andy.  I was understandably nervous.  But we paddled around for an hour and stayed in the kayak the whole time.  I won't say we stayed dry, because it's surprising how wet you get just from paddle splashes, but he did NOT flip me this time.  So here are some pictures from our anniversary trip to the lake...

Got in without flipping - that's a good start!

Photobomb Tree

Dude that tree is almost falling over! 

Pretty lake, even though it was cloudy and cool all day.

Mandatory feet in kayak photo.

Big rocks - Photobomb Andy's paddle


A sailboat!

On our way back to the dock and we're still dry!  

Back on land and still [mostly] dry!  Yay us!

Then we had a nice little picnic.

And went for a nice little hike.

And stopped here for ice cream on the way home.

Haven't had one of these in years!  It was just as good as I remember!

Best ice cream ever!  And a wonderful way to celebrate 5 fabulous years!

So then, the next day, we celebrated Father's Day with both of our dads at the same time.  If you couldn't tell from our luxury anniversary celebration, we're not really rolling in the dough right now.  So for Father's Day we had both dads over for a cookout and pool party.  And my mom came too because why would we make her stay home alone?!  That's terrible!  So here's our fun pictures from that...

Playing Ball with Pappy

My new favorite picture

Happy Daddy's Day!

Warming up with Gramma

Hanging out with Grampy

And then it was time for VBS to consume my life for the rest of the month.  Literally.  It only lasted 3 days, but was a super awesome time that was worth all the work.  And it ended like this...


We only had 16 kids instead of the 30 I was hoping for, but they ALL came for church on Sunday and stayed for lunch afterward just so that they could hit me in the face with almost 20 pies. 

Totally worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment