Monday, July 1, 2013

The Nursery - Final Product!

So, it's finally done.  Well, it has been for a while, but I'm finally getting around to showing it to you.  You would not believe how hard it is to find time to snap a few pictures and upload them!  Ok, so as a reminder, here's what the room looked like before we bought the house ...



And here's what it turned into as we moved in ...


Then we painted it ...


And built the crib ...


And then Ellie was born and progress slowed waaaaaaay down!  But it's done now - or at least really close to it. I keep coming up with new things that I want to add, haha!

Why don't we just take a photo tour?

The embroidery sign on the door, made by my sister ...
(sorry it's crooked - Ellie was losing patience at this point!)

Crib, immediately inside the door ...

Old picture, from before she was born, but it still looks the same!

AWESOME mobile, also made by my sister ...



Next to the crib, the reading corner with my awesome glider...



Here's a closeup of the shelves that we put up here.  Several years (two houses) ago, I found these at a thrift store for a little bit of nothing and picked them up.  I had no idea what I was going to do with them, but they were just too cute, so I had to have them.  We (and by that I mean Andy) gave them a fresh coat of paint and they add just the right *something* to this corner!


We received the piggy bank, the cross, and the adorable porcelain bootie as gifts, and I picked up the picture frame at Target.  I decided that I'd make everything on the shelves pink so there was a splash more 'girly' in the room.

Across from the reading corner is the bureau that we refinished.


We use the drawers as storage for linens for the crib and changing table.  The cubby houses our cloth diapers (and some disposables for the babysitters).


And the tall section is her 'book shelf'.


Eventually, we plan to put actual shelves in there, but for now, the crates will do.  Unless she gets another book.  Then we're in trouble.  That's actually only 2 thirds of her books - there's another crate full in the living room!  Not that I'm complaining!

The animals on top are made by TY (yes, they're still around!) and are called Beanie Boos.


I found them at the store where I was working when I was pregnant.  I just love them to bits and thought they were too cute to leave there!  It took me forever to find the zebra, though.  Eventually mom and I found it at Kohls on a random trip.  Some day maybe I'll let her play with them, but for now they're just decoration :-)

Next to the wardrobe is the dresser with the changing pad on top.  The drawers are very handy to store extra diapers and wipes, clothes to grow into, and extra bulky quilts and blankets.  Stuff that you don't have to access terribly often.  On top we have the changing pad and the wipes warmer (which is currently unplugged because it's warm enough around here!) and the cream and spray that we use on her bottom.  It functions incredibly well and I really like the setup.




Above the changing table is the name sign that I made (with a lot of help from Andy and my sister).  It was quite a project.  So much so that I have an entire post dedicated to it.  I've just got to upload the pictures...





Next to the dresser/changing area we have two little trash cans - one for her cloth diapers and one for trash.  And her hamper - nothing terribly impressive there.  I thought that by getting one white can and one black we could keep track of what goes in what, but after washing several wipes with the cloth diapers I decided they needed labels.  Some paper letters and few coats of Mod Podge later and we have cute cans that don't get co-mingled!




Then there's her closet.  




Such a big closet for such a little girl!  On the top shelf we have bins for too small clothes (which I need to just move into plastic tubs for storage, but I haven't gotten any bins just yet, so that'll have to wait a while longer) and baby proofing supplies (which we need to get down and start installing!).  The clothes are hung up by size.  The wire shelves I had left over from college.  I got the small bins and the baskets from the Dollar Tree and the fabric bins on the bottom came from Target.  The small bins on top hold little things and they each have a chalkboard label, so I can change the contents as I see fit.  





The baskets in the middle hold pants, socks, and onesies (that aren't a part of an outfit).  On the bottom, we have toy storage (for toys she's not ready for yet), health things (like an extra thermometer, bulb syringe, dental hygiene kit for when she's older, bubble bath for when she's older, etc. ), and other various things she's not ready for yet (like sippy cups and utensils and such).  On second thought, maybe all that should go on the top shelf, haha!  Like I said, I'm never quite done with it.

And that's the whole room!  I'd like to get a clock, but I need to find one that doesn't tick.  If it ticks, it will broadcast over the monitor (which is VERY sensitive) and keep me up all night.  My Aunt Carlene also cross stitched this BEAUTIFUL quilt that I would like to turn into a wall hanging and put somewhere in the room. 


Maybe above the trash cans and hamper?  I don't know.  I need mom to come help me with that one sometime :-)

Well, I hope you enjoyed the tour!  Ellie turns SIX MONTHS on Friday and has a checkup next Tuesday - check back to see how BIG she is now and for a never-before-seen flashback video from when she was first born!  (haha, how's that for a cheesy teaser?!)

No comments:

Post a Comment