Thursday, March 13, 2014

Pinned it... Cowboy Casserole


So, for my next pin review, I decided to pick another recipe simply because that's what I do most with pinterest.  I'd love to do more of the crafts/DIY projects that I find, but that costs money.  Cooking does too, but we've gotta eat so it's a little more justified.  Anyway, I present to you.....





Cowboy Casserole!  This is one that I've had and have been using for over a year now.  When we were moving into our house, Mom made this for us one night and I loved it so much I immediately pinned it.

One thing that bothers me is that the pin goes back to a page with more than one article/post on it.  At least it's not the home page of the blog, but you do have to scroll a while before you find the actual recipe.  

The recipe itself is very clear and easy to understand and/or adapt if you feel the need.  For example... Usually I just use one package (a little more than a pound) of beef and bake it in one of my smaller-sized rectangular pans.  I think it's 7x11 or something like that.  This ensures that I have enough Crispy Crowns to cover both the bottom and the top of the casserole.  It's also cheaper because I save the extra 1/2 lb. of beef, but it's still plenty for 2.5 of us to eat and we still get a small amount of leftovers.  This time, I used 2 packages (a little more than a pound each) of ground beef because I wanted lots of leftovers.  We didn't even eat half of it.  If you use both, make sure you do use the 9x13 pan (I use my Pyrex dishes for almost all of my cooking) otherwise you will run out of room.  It does bubble a bit in the oven, so you don't want it piled too high in the dish or you could get some spill-over into your oven.  In the 9x13, use the Crispy Crowns on the bottom sparingly.  You want the top coverage to be a higher priority than the bottom.  

When browning the beef, I leave out the onion and garlic.  I just don't like having the extra bits of things in there.  I know, I'm weird.  I just brown it with a healthy dose of onion powder and garlic powder.  It still provides a good, rich taste, but without the extra bits and it saves all the peeling/chopping.  I also don't use Cream of Mushroom soup.  Actually, I don't use Cream of Anything soups!  I found a recipe for something called Soup or Sauce Mix (I'll review it for you sometime!) that is a healthier substitute for "Cream-Of" soups.  So my version of this recipe includes one batch of that.  And I leave out the corn.  Because we prefer our veggies on the side, rather than mixed into the casserole.

Ok, so having said all that, I do actually follow the recipe pretty closely.  Another thing I don't like (because I'm nitpicky) is the fact that she's unclear on the amount of cheese you will need.  The ingredients list calls for 2 cups, but the recipe only indicates using 1 1/2.  It's really not that big of a deal.  I mix a full cup in with the beef and all the other ingredients and then sprinkle a good amount on top.  So who knows how much I actually use.  I also use sharp cheddar to give it a little more kick, but I've used mild and it is still yummy.

Definitely use the Crispy Crowns.  I have investigated all sorts of other options and they just aren't as good.  I've used the regular tater-tots (or Potato Puffs if you shop at Aldi) and loose hash-browns and neither was terribly good.  They just didn't get crispy at all.  The crispy crowns are the way to go.  It's worth the extra dollar, in this case.

Make sure you do bake it for the full half hour so that the Crispy Crowns get thoroughly cooked.  This time I was rushing and didn't leave it in there long enough and the potatoes were still a bit raw.  It doesn't hurt anything but the texture.  Also, after it is "done", I like to broil it for a minute or two to get the cheese good and melty.  Again, I skipped that this time because I had to leave for choir practice and wanted to have time to eat it, too.  It's good either way. 

This one doesn't look very pretty, so think twice before serving it to fancy guests.  But what it lacks in looks it makes up for in flavor.  It is good.  I've never fed it to someone who didn't like it.  [Well, my vegetarian friend Sarah probably wouldn't enjoy it, but that's beside the point...]  It's in the regular rotation on our menu and nobody ever complains.  Ellie even likes it, and she's not a huge fan of meat either.

Final Verdict: It's a keeper for sure!  Modify it the way you like it - delete ingredients like I did or add some more veggies of your choice - and it's probably still going to be good.  A solid, comfort-food standby that's difficult to mess up.  AND it microwaves pretty well for leftovers.  We love it!


No comments:

Post a Comment