Monday, March 10, 2014

Pinned it...

So, I recently said something on facebook about trying a recipe for homemade graham crackers for Ellie to eat and a friend asked me to share the recipe.  I've had enough trouble with internet recipes that I always try them before sharing them.  I don't want to be that friend that goes around giving out bad recipes!  So I told her that after I tried it, if it was good, I would share it on the blog.  And then I had a marvelous idea.  Why not make it a thing?!  I mean, as I'm going through stuff on pinterest, I always wonder if anybody has ever actually done that thing and had it turn out right.  So that's what I'm doing.  Everything that I pin and try and actually like how it turned out, I will share with you.  Well, maybe not everything, but you get the idea.  I'm calling it...


I'll share the original pin with you, my process in trying it, any changes or adjustments that I made, and the results!  And then I will feel a lot better about sharing pins with you, because you'll have all the honest details.  Like how that roast beef didn't turn out quite so tender, but that's probably because I forgot to turn the crock pot on.  Or how the homemade graham crackers were great, but I need to buy smaller cookie cutters.  You get the idea.  So, without further ado adieu [ah forget it] delay, here's my first Pinterest review...





This is the pin I referenced above that I tried just the other night for Ellie.  The pin linked to the proper page (which is always so helpful) and the recipe was easy to understand and follow.  There was even an easy-print recipe on the site!  I didn't actually print it, but I like to have the option.

I followed the recipe just as written, omitting the wheat germ that's listed as optional.  I used my stand mixer since I don't have a food processor.  The dough came together just like it was supposed to.  I did have to switch to my dough hook after adding the wet ingredients because it is a very thick, sticky dough and using the paddle was putting too much strain on the motor.  I would not recommend mixing this by hand.  

I liked that I didn't have to flour my surface to roll out the dough.  That always makes such a mess!  I recently invested in a silicone rolling mat to lay on the counter and roll out dough on.  This was the first time I got to use it and it worked GREAT!  The dough did stick to my (marble) rolling pin sometimes, but it peeled off and still worked fine.  I rolled my dough to a little thinner than the 1/4 inch that the recipe suggests.  I wish I had done them thinner still, as they do puff up a bit in the oven.  They came out a little more like cookies than the super-thin graham crackers that you buy at the store.  I did have to be very careful when transferring the dough to the baking sheet, since it was so sticky.  But a little patience and re-shaping once on the sheet and it was fine.

I used my air-bake cookie sheets, so I did not line them with the parchment paper or silpat.  The crackers came off just fine.  I baked them for 15 minutes, and that was perfect.  The last pan was rolled thinner and they got a little extra-crispy, so I could have put them in for less time and still been fine.  My favorite part of this recipe is that all of the ingredients are safe to be consumed raw.  Which means that if they are slightly under-done (or someone wants to lick the beater...), I don't have to worry about giving them to my toddler.  Wonderful!

These are a HUGE hit at our house.  And the babysitter's house!  They smelled great coming out of the oven and they taste great, too!  After taking one bite, Ellie took a whole second cracker to have one for each hand.  And she ate them both.  Our babysitter and her daughter loved them too.  And I ate one as a snack after getting home from work.  The honey and the cinnamon are in just the right proportions.  I want to get up and eat another one right now.  They're that good.  

This recipe made about 2 dozen graham crackers for us, but of course that will depend on the size of your cookie cutters and how thin you roll your dough.  I think the only thing I would change about these for next time is to use smaller cookie cutters.  I used bunnies, carrots, and peeps this time (I was in a spring-y mood!), but they're big to store and, more importantly, big to pack in Ellie's snack containers.  I don't have any of the tiny cutters, but I'll have to be on the lookout for some clearance ones here sometime soon.  You could also just use a pizza wheel and cut the dough into squares and bake, but that just doesn't seem like as 

Final Verdict: Love it!  I highly recommend it!  It's easy, not too time consuming, moderately healthy (I can pronounce all the ingredients!), and cheap (I didn't have to buy any specialty ingredients!).

We give it two toddler (and two mommy!) thumbs up!




No comments:

Post a Comment