Thursday, April 3, 2014

A New Hobby

Well, with the beautiful change in weather, Ellie and I have adopted a new hobby.  SWINGING!

Here's a little back story before we get to the ridiculously cute pictures...

We have a park conveniently located right across the street from our house, so there's really no excuse for us to not get out and get some exercise on a regular basis.  No really, there's no excuse.  I've looked for one.  Can't find it.  Doesn't exist.  I have to go.  Andy and I started going together in the evenings back in the fall.  We decided to make it a regular thing - kind of like a date.  That lasted about 2 weeks and then it got cold and we couldn't go any more.  Darn.  I mean, it was nice to have the time to talk - don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed that part - but I'm far too lazy for this whole exercising thing.  But when the weather got nice, I felt bad for keeping my child indoors just because I'm too lazy to put on real pants and shoes.  She would gaze out the window and point at the park and smile at the people walking by and I would just click play on the next episode of Dr. Quinn.  Wednesday afternoon, I decided that I was getting a *little* too close to winning the Worst-Mom-Ever Award and dragged myself outside for a walk.

Best. Decision. Ever.  (Well, at the very least, it was the best one all week.)

So we put on our pants and shoes (I promise I really do wear pants in my house, they're just more suitable for sleeping than public viewing) and headed out the door.  I got her all buckled into the strolled and we made it out of the driveway (and then turned back to shut the garage door because I have trust issues) and down into the park.  The skateboarders were skating and the birds were chirping and the sun was shining and it was just an all around lovely day.  And then, I saw it.  The swing set.  When we moved in, the park was just a walking path around a large field, a parking lot, a pavilion, and a skate park.  Then, about a week later, they broke ground for the swing set.  Now it has 4 fully functional swings, 2 of which are toddler-style.  And it is very popular.  But at this time of the afternoon, it was completely unoccupied.  Ellie's never ridden swings before (other than the infant swing that only *sometimes* put her to sleep), but she's a very active kid that *must* be in motion at all times, so I figured she would like it.  Boy is that an understatement.  I'm pretty sure she could live on the swings.  She didn't want to leave.  And she got mad if I didn't push her high enough.  I swear this kid is going to grow up to be a circus performer.  Anyway, after I finally pried her away from the swings, we did 2 laps around the park, checking out some wildlife and saying 'hi!' to every. single. person.

And you know what?  I actually enjoyed myself.  I *might* be persuaded to make it a daily thing.  I was in such a good mood for the rest of the evening.  And all I did was take a simple little walk.  Crazy how getting some fresh air can impact you so much!  Anyway, here are the long-awaited pictures of our walk and Ellie's newfound passion: swings.  Enjoy...

Hey mom, this is pretty fun!
Higher!  No, HIGHER!  Ok, that's good!
Sweet, some shades!  Now my eyes don't hurt!  Thanks, mom!

And now for a nature quiz! Tell me...



... Groundhog or Beaver??  We didn't get a glimpse of its tail, but it appeared to be coming up out of the creek.  Andy says it's a groundhog, but I think it's beaver.  What do you think??

And here's a pretty little birdie that we saw perched on one of the bird boxes along the trail...


... so pretty, right?!  Anybody know what kind of bird it is??

And we saw these when we got home...


... are they Tulips or Daffodils?  We have both, but I can't remember what is where.

And here's a bonus picture for those of you who have made it this far in the post!  While I was teaching lessons on Tuesday night, Andy needed to go out and pick up sticks, so he took Ellie out with him.  She settled in on the pavers by the pool and played with the rocks.  It turned out to be stinkin' adorable...


... right?!  I can't even handle the cuteness in this picture.  And look how green our grass is getting!  Promise, I didn't edit that picture at all, other than cropping it.

Ok, that's all the pictures I have for you today.  Stay tuned for some more pinterest reviews - if I can fit it in between all of our walks and swinging!

6 comments:

  1. The flower leaves are tulips. The animal I think is a ground hog. If it was a beaver coming up out of the stream, it's fur would probably be wet. Is there a beaver dam nearby? If not, it's most likely a ground hog. Ground hogs are plentiful around here. I looked the bird up in our bird book. It's a tree swallow. http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/spp_photos.aspx?spp=2&sppid=506&keepThis=true&TB_iframe=true&height=488&width=875

    Cherie Loewen

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE.....and her "red" hair is really shining in the sunlight!!! Cute jacket too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heather. I'm pretty sure that is a Blue Martin. Some people call it a purple martin because of the glossy shine of its feathers. That's an excellent picture, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to have to go with Cherie and say it's a Tree Swallow. First, it was at a normal next box, not the Purple Martin house at a different part of the park. Second, it had a pure white belly like the swallow, not solid blue like the Martin. With the shiny blue, I thought it was a Purple Martin too at first, but I didn't think they were white. A quick google shows that it's definitely a Swallow. VERY pretty bird though, and I'm so glad he sat still for this picture!

      Delete
  4. She is so adorable. :) Love that she likes to swing. My kids and grands all like to swing. The bird is really pretty. Never saw one like that before.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ellie gets cuter every day! I love these pictures and it sounds like you had a wonderful time at the park. It was one of my favorite things to do with my kids when they were little. Yes, every picture is filled with cuteness but I love it. You write wonderfully and I love hearing about what you are up to. Hugz. Thanks to Cherie Loewen for answering the quiz questions. I thought that it looked like a beaver too. I was pretty sure the flowers were/are tulips. I have never seen that bird before but isn't it beautiful? Will look up info on tree swallows now. So, got caught up on Heather's Household and learned a few things along the way. Win-win. =)

    ReplyDelete