Saturday, July 21, 2012

Hello Second Trimester!

So we're 14 weeks today!  Wahoo!  So when exactly does my energy come back??  They say I should be feeling much better this trimester, and for the most part that's true, but I'm still very emotional and also pretty tired.  That could be a result of my work schedule, though, so I shouldn't put too much blame on my little Nugget.

Speaking of whom... he or she is apparently the size of a lemon today!  According The Bump, Nugget is about 3.2 inches long and weighs a whopping 1.5 ounces.  Also, apparently he or she is very active in there, but I just can't feel it yet.  I'm starting to get really anxious for that, though.  Every time my tummy grumbles or I have gas, it makes me jump a little bit, wondering if that's it.  But no.  Not yet.  At my last visit, the doctor told me I probably won't feel anything until 17 weeks.  So I guess I've still got a while to wait.

In other news, we ordered our crib today!  We decided that the crib would be the one piece of furniture for the nursery that we would buy new.  The rest we either bought used or will be using our old bedroom set, since we just got ourselves a new (used) set.  There will be painting involved.  Lots and lots of painting.  We decided to go with white furniture so it would be easy to match and also keep the nursery nice and light. Andy's been wanting to buy the crib JUST so we can match the paint and he can get started on the other pieces of furniture.  He's got the glider and one dresser sanded and ready so far (the other dresser is still at my parents house, or he'd have that done too) and has bought the paint sprayer and everything he will need to get going on it.

He's been really anxious about getting everything ready as soon as humanly possible.  It was cute for a while because it was evidence of him being so excited.  But I've been kind of mellow about the whole subject, arguing that there is plenty of time and we don't have to rush any decisions or do everything all at once, so there's a little bit of conflict there.  I really thought it would be the other way around.  Seriously.  I figured I would be the one to go buy everything and have the nursery all set up before we even find out the sex (yes, we'll be doing that, but more about it later) and he'd be dragging his feet, not wanting to make big decisions too quickly.  Either way, we balance each other out, and that's what really matters.

Speaking of getting everything done, tomorrow we are going to Babies 'R Us (and maybe Target too, if we have the time and energy) to start our registries.  It's a bit overwhelming, to be honest.  It's hard as first time parents to know what all we will need or want.  We're definitely going to be taking care of the big items (stroller, car seat, etc.) since we already went and figured out what we like, but we know we will probably have to make adjustments later on for the smaller things.  Here's something you will rarely hear from an expectant mom: Give me some advice!!  What do you wish you had registered for?  What did you get that you can't/couldn't live without?  What did you register for that you never really used or never ended up liking?  Help me out here!  A few helpful tidbits: Provided that I can, I'll be breastfeeding and I will also be staying home full-time and teaching lessons in the evenings.

So that's my update for today - we bought a crib and Baby's the size of a lemon and I still like to sleep a lot.  And I need your help with my registry!  One of these days I promise I will actually get you a picture of my 'bump', although I still don't think it looks like a bump so much as like I just ate a big meal and need to hop on the treadmill a little more often.  Oh well. People tell me that these next few months will fly by and suddenly I will be going into labor, wondering where the time went.  So there's no need to rush things.  Just somebody please tell my husband that :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment