Monday, July 30, 2012

TidBits

So I haven't updated in a while.  Nothing's really been happening, so that's partly why, but I've also had a crazy week at work.  Today is my first day off from both jobs in well over a week, so I figured I'd pop in and offer up a few tidbits from the past week.  Here we go....

We started our registries last Sunday!  It was pretty fun, but kind of stressful at the same time.  Thanks for all the facebook feedback about what we should make sure to include!  We got all of the necessities as far as we can tell.  And throughout the week, Andy actually somehow talked me into cloth diapers.  We had decided against it at first because the house we will be moving to has public water and sewer, so we figured the water bills would outweigh the diaper cost savings.  If there's one thing in the world I can depend on, it's that my husband is a planner.  He crunched numbers for days to figure out that we would still save money with cloth.  It took a lot of convincing, because I really gravitate toward throwing the poo away rather than putting it in my washer several times a week, but he finally talked me into it.

We had an issue with our fridge this week.  Apparently it was on a defrost cycle and so the temperature rose slightly.  It was enough to make us realize that our water bottles were not as cold as they should have been.  Andy panicked and rotated the dial toward 'cold'.  Unfortunately, the temperature continued to hold at a steady 50.  If you know anything about fridges, you know that's entirely too warm.  So the next day I looked at the dial a bit closer, and realized that 'cold' is actually the opposite of 'colder', so he had actually turned the temperature up.  Oops.  So after much freaking out and random adjustments, it's finally back to a nice cold temperature with the dial set at 'normal'.  All that for nothing.  It was pretty exciting.  Or not.

We enjoyed watching the Olympic opening ceremony on Friday night!  We stayed up until midnight to watch the whole thing and loved every minute of it.  It got varied reviews and a lot of the people I know on facebook apparently didn't like it.  I, for one, thoroughly enjoyed it.  Mr. Bean's appearance may have actually been my favorite part, though the flame lighting was incredibly touching as well.  It was fresh and creative and really well done, in my opinion.  If you didn't like it, well then that's ok too, I'm just saying that I really did.  So far I've also really enjoyed watching some swimming and gymnastics qualifying rounds.  And I've got to say that I'm super lucky that Andy is as much of a fan as I am.

My mom, dad, and sister came to visit yesterday!  We had fun shopping for the last bit of fabric for the baby's quilt, which is looking super cute!  I can't wait to show you all pictures.  She's going nuts (in a very, very good way) with anything fabric in the nursery.  It's going to be beautiful!  We also had fun just sitting around catching up and hearing all about their recent trip to Niagra Falls.  I hadn't seen any of them in a while, so it was a really great day.  Plus, we went to my favorite Italian restaurant for lunch, so that always makes for a good day!

Also we got a call yesterday from our realtor (who needed some info from us) that may have indicated that things are moving faster with our house than we thought they would.  None of us really knows what's going on, so I'm trying not to get too excited just yet, but it's still good to know that things are moving in a forward direction!

And last, but certainly not least, we made it to 15 weeks on Saturday!  The Bump tells me that Baby is about 4 inches long and weighs 2.5 ounces.  Roughly the size of a navel orange, which is pretty adorable to picture.    And I'm starting to show more and more, which is a good thing for me!  My tummy has [almost] always been a bit jiggly (come on, whose hasn't??), but now it's starting to tighten up and jiggle less.  Good news all around!  I've been lotion-ing up with cocoa butter to help avoid stretch marks, but I hope that I'm not so vain that I'll be upset if I get them anyway.  I have one pair of regular jeans that still fits.  One.  They got pretty filthy at work on Saturday evening, so I had nothing to wear to church on Sunday.  I ended up pulling out the maternity jeans and my belly is ALMOST big enough to hold them up properly!  I tried wearing my capris a week or two back and they just would not stay up, so this relative success with the jeans is very encouraging.  I know it's a silly thing to be excited about, but I still am!  My next appointment is on the 6th, and then we will set the date for the growth scan ultrasound to find out if it's a boy or a girl!

So that's what happened this week.  The next time something exciting happens, I'll be sure to let you know!

6 comments:

  1. you will love cloth diapers! Best decision we ever made! If you're using prefolds, there's a bit of a learning curve at first, but you'll get really good at it fast! Besides, they're so cute :-) One tip... invest in a diaper sprayer (or put it on your registry). Makes the job so much easier. And if you ever need washing troubleshooting tips, come find me :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will-do! Thanks Andrea! What brand of covers/inserts/prefolds do you use?? I was also really concerned with the fact that we have a front-load HE washer. I had read that you really have to have a top-load machine with the agitators or the diapers just wont get clean and I wasn't about to go out and buy a new washer just for diapers! But through all of Andy's research, he found out the process for our specific machine that will work. He really is one heck of a research assistant! He read up on the sprayers too, so we'll definitely be getting one of them.

      Delete
    2. We used Green Mountain Diapers prefolds. They are AMAZING. SO absorbant and they wash really well. Not to mention they make the best burp cloths of all time! They're easy to prep too. We used those when she was newborn (with Thirsties covers I got from another mom -- she bought and never used them and I paid way less), then switched to bumgenius pocket diapers. I'm not sure what route you're planning on going, but they are worth every penny. They are more money up front but they are SO easy (great for hubby, grandparents, etc. My sister is even considering using cloth when she has kids b/c of how easy they are!). They usually run a great sale every couple months on them as well (that's how we got ours). We have a top loading washer, but I've used a front loading one when we've traveled and had no problems!

      Delete
    3. Oh and I forgot... snappis are the best invention ever! So much easier than pins! But with Andy's mad researching skills, I'm sure you already knew that :-)

      Delete
  2. I'm hoping we can use disposable at Grandma's house - I've done cloth before and don't care to go back there.......lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course you can! We will still probably keep them on hand too for when we leave the house.

      Delete